1950 Guy Arab IV Video Tour

Buses Festival

Supported By
Focal Point Preview Image


The chassis of this bus was one of the first batch of 100 'Arab' Mk IVs built at Guy Motor's Fallings Park factory in Wolverhampton and the body was constructed and fitted at MCCW's Marstone Green factory, Bickenhill Lane, Birmingham. 

It was one of 902 'standard' buses built for Birmingham to the same general design by different manufacturers, with the radiator concealed by the 'new look' front, a feature developed by Guy Motors for Birmingham City Transport.  

After clocking up 545,000 miles, it was withdrawn from normal service in 1972 and converted to a promotions bus for WMPTE's new Travelcard. The upper deck was turned into a cinema with blanked out windows and seats were turned round to face a projector screen at the rear. It was withdrawn from this role in 1977 and rescued by Quinton-based 2548 Group in 1979. After most of the alterations for Travelcard promotion had been reversed, it spent the next four years on the historic rally scene before being taken off the road for major mechanical, electrical and bodywork refurbishment, which was completed at Aston Manor Transport Museum, Witton, Birmingham in 2011. Apart from some welding work, upholstering of seats and signwriting of external advertisements, all other work was undertaken by 2548 Group volunteers. It is estimated that a total of 20,000 man-hours went into the restoration. 

The bus has been returned to the livery it carried in the 1960s with all fittings, transfers, advertisements and notices appropriate to that period