Changes to routes in west London, linked to the delayed opening of the Elizabeth Line, came into effect on 7 December (Look in on London, October).
Perhaps the most significant was the curtailment of the 140 to run only between Harrow Weald and Hayes & Harlington station. In May 1955 it became the second daily service into what was then called London Airport. It originally ran as far north as Mill Hill, but was cut back gradually to improve reliability. It was the last serving Heathrow to be operated by RT-class AEC Regent IIIs, retaining these until July 1978, largely because crews at Harrow Weald garage objected to the use of larger double-deckers.