Based: Head office and depot – Spalding Road, Bourne, Lincolnshire
Founded: 1890, when William Smith carried his first passengers by horse and cart to local markets. His son, Thomas Arthur Smith, introduced the first motorbus, a Ford Model T, in 1919 when the name Delaine was introduced by his wife Emma Jane Smith. Established services to Peterborough, Stamford, Spalding and Grantham by 1923. During 1930s purchased Walpole of Dyke, Blue Bus of Deeping St James and Betterway of Billingborough.
Their son Hugh joined 1938, becoming managing director 20 years later and was appointed MBE shortly before his death in 1995. His sister Beryl Tilley retired 2010, two years before her death after 71 years in business; her husband Derek attained 53 years’ service.