WHY GRIMSBY WAS OPPOSITE OF GRIM

Grimsby-Cleethorpes Transport (GCT) was one of the first arm’s length municipal operators to be sold in an open bidding process rather than a closed sale, the profitable business becoming a Stagecoach subsidiary in November 1993.

While the new owner’s speed stripes soon replaced its own livery, latterly orange and white, like most other group subsidiaries it retained its name as legal lettering on bus sides and on its operator licence for 20 years until all the group’s enlarged East Midlands operations — from Hull to Chesterfield and Mansfield — were bundled together as Lincolnshire Road Car. The company lasted another nine years as a dormant legal entity until it was liquidated in a move associated with the sale of Stagecoach as a whole to its new German owner, DWS Infrastructure.

That was a cue for Graham Lord to revive the name by registering it to publish this year-by-year account of the municipal undertaking formed by the merging of the well-established Cleethorpes and Grimsby corporation transport departments into a joint committee in 1957, through the challenges of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s and on to its privatisation.

Want to read more?

This is a premium article and requires an active subscription.

Existing subscriber? Sign in now

No subscription?

Pick one of our introductory offers