Seaford rolls out its halfcabs

The ex-Eastbourne Leyland near Glynde in the South Downs National Park on 10 June.
The Devon General Regent crossing the River Ouse in the village of Glynde on the first journey from Lewes on 17 June.

Open-top classic halfcab doubledeckers provided some of the first two weekends’ journeys on Seaford & District’s new East Sussex Tourist Trail service 124 (Lewes- Eastbourne) (Buses last month).

The first day of operation, Saturday 10 June, saw it use 1967 East Lancs-bodied Leyland Titan PD2A/30 84 (DHC 784E), which wears the blue and primrose colours of original owner Eastbourne Corporation. Series 2 open-top ECWbodied Bristol VRT 6690 (HKE 690L), painted in Seaford & District cream and dark green, operated the following day.

The next Saturday marked the company’s first use of former Devon General DR818 (VDV 818), a 1957 AEC Regent V with Metro-Cammell Orion body converted to open-top and preserved in its original red and cream. It is on long term loan from owner Dan Shears.

The 124 operates three round trips on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holiday Mondays until 28 August, connecting with Seaford & District’s Eastbourne Sightseeing tour and using open-toppers when weather permits. The company will use its social media feeds to announce on the day which vehicle is operating.