Based: Head office and depot – Constantine Road, Ipswich, Suffolk.
Founded: October 1986, to continue business of Ipswich Borough Transport as a council-owned arms-length company.
Ipswich Corporation purchased Ipswich Tramway Company (founded 1880) in 1901, electrified tramway in 1903, replaced with trolleybuses 1923-26 and introduced first motorbuses (six Park Royal-bodied AEC Regent IIIs) 1950. Trolleybus system closed 1963.
Expanded into coaching and country services with acquisition of JDW Coaches 1987, part of Bickers of Coddenham’s bus operations 1988 and local bus services of Squirrels of Hitcham 1989. Ipswich Travelbranded coach operation sold 1992. New Ipswich Coachlines venture started 2021 with three acquired coaches and Scania OmniDekka double-decker.
Rejected 2010 offer from Go-Ahead to buy minority stake in the company. Acquired most bus routes, staff and ten vehicles from Carters Coach Services of Capel St Mary in 2016.