Type of Vehicle - Bus
Year built/registered - 1946
Vehicle Description - Crossley DD42/3 with Roe bodywork
Reg No. VV9146 Fleet No 146
Livery/Operator - Northampton Corporation Transport
This Northampton Corporation bus was restored in 2016 by Tony Melia and the late John Jackson after being rescued from a field in Scotland. It was one of a batch of 10 (Nos. 140-9) delivered in 1946. 26 Crossleys had been bought between 1932 and 1936 when Daimler was selected as the preferred supplier.
Originally the 1946 delivery was to be split between Crossley and Daimler with each manufacturer supplying 5 buses but Daimler was unable to meet the required delivery dates so the whole order went to Crossley. The DD42/3 was a new model which had been developed during the war and featured a Crossley 8.6 litre engine and a constant mesh gearbox. Generally they were popular vehicles with the drivers and could usually be found operating the Kingsley and St James’ routes.
The batch was withdrawn from service between 1962 and 1964 with 146 being retired in 1963. Incredibly, eight of the ten found their way to the Molesworth scrap yard of Joe Hunt where they lanquished for many, many years, at least three of them - 142, 145 and 146 were rescued in the 1970's by the late Norman Myers and taken to the North West. 146, newly restored, first returned home to Northampton in 2016 to take part in the Heritage Open Days event. It further returned in 2017 and then permanently in 2021 after the death of owner John Jackson who bequeathed 146 to the care of Northampton Transport Heritage. 146 celebrated its 75 year of first registration in December 2021.